[R-pkg-devel] Guidance on importind multiple text files for @example

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu May 11 19:05:42 CEST 2017

On 11/05/2017 9:56 AM, Zhian Kamvar wrote:
> I sent this earlier, but from a different email and it bounced on the list:
>
> You might try placing a directory (e.g. foo) of a few small dummy text
> files in inst/ and then in the example use:
>
> system.file("foo")
>
> as the input to your example.

That's the right idea, though I would list the package name explicitly
in the system.file() call, e.g.

datafolder <- system.file("foo", package = "bar")

> That being said, system.file() often confuses users, so some authors
> have taken to wrapping that in a separate function like foo_example().

I'd say it's better to show users how to find the folder, rather than
hiding that where they can't see it.  Examples should be for learning,
not just to produce magic output.

Duncan Murdoch