[R-pkg-devel] Latex got me

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri May 5 12:00:26 CEST 2017

On 05/05/2017 5:47 AM, Jim Lemon wrote:
> Hi,
> In adding a contributed function to the plotrix package, I keep
> getting a latex error:
>
> * checking PDF version of manual ... WARNING
> LaTeX errors when creating PDF version.
> This typically indicates Rd problems.
> LaTeX errors found:
> ! File ended while scanning use of \HeaderA.
> <inserted text>
>                \par
> <*> \input ./Rd2.tex
>
> ! Emergency stop.
> <*> \input ./Rd2.tex
>
> *** (job aborted, no legal \end found)
>
> !  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
> * checking PDF version of manual without hyperrefs or index ... ERROR
> * DONE
>
> I thought it might be an errant character in the Rd file, and after
> quite a bit of staring at a hex editor, I just retyped the whole
> thing. Everything runs okay except for this error. The file ends with
> the same line as many other Rd files in plotrix:
>
> \keyword{misc}
>
> and the last character is a line feed (0x0A). If I remove the function
> and man page, the error goes away. Thanks to any Sherlock out there.

You'll need to show us the source, but a guess based on "File ended
while scanning use of \HeaderA." is that one of your titles or names
contains characters that are confusing LaTeX.

You can also try

R CMD Rd2pdf --no-clean foo.Rd

to see what LaTeX got produced from the foo.Rd man page.  That will
likely contain an error if the full manual does.