[R-pkg-devel] Library not loaded =?utf-8?Q?=E2=80=98libgdal.dylib=E2=80=99_?=when building package on travis (osx)

Patrick Schratz patrick.schratz at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 15:25:06 CEST 2017

Hi guys,

@ Alexandre
Thanks for suggesting to compile from source. I normally try to use this as the last option because this will usually take a while for gdal. However, it may install to other locations as the brew installation does so I just tried it and faced some permission problems during copying:

/Users/travis/build/jannes-m/RQGIS/gdal-2.1.3/install-sh -c /Users/travis/build/jannes-m/RQGIS/gdal-2.1.3/libgdal.dylib /usr/lib/libgdal.dylib.2.1.3
cp: /usr/lib/#inst.15842#: Operation not permitted
make: *** [install-lib] Error 1

Log: https://travis-ci.org/jannes-m/RQGIS/jobs/227128054

I am somewhat hesitate to “go back” and solve this gdal2 installation/make issue when I already have a working gdal2 installation via homebrew which “just” seems to miss some correct linking to libgdal.dylib.
On Linux I use the ubuntugis PPA to install gdal 2.1.0 which is way faster than compiling from source (I did that in the past). So maybe this would be even an option for you to speed up your travis builds?
Thanks for your reply, much appreciated!

@ Jonathan
A walk through of your suggested option would be awesome! We could do so in our Slack group if this is better suited than mailing for this case? Just write me whatever you prefer.

Cheers, Patrick

PhD Student at Department of Geography - GIScience group
Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Germany
Tel.: +49-3641-9-48973
Web: https://pat-s.github.io