[R-pkg-devel] Library not loaded ‘libgdal.dylib’ when building package on travis (osx)

Jonathon Love jon at thon.cc
Sat Apr 29 15:22:30 CEST 2017

hi,

On 29/4/17 21:29, Patrick Schratz wrote:
> Nope, still an open issue. I also do not have any ideas left what I could try next.
>
> Tried the export hints (e.g. bash profile) given in 'brew info gdal2' and checked with my local configuration but I do not see what the possible issue could be here.
>
> On 29. Apr 2017, 13:24 +0200, Alexandre Courtiol <alexandre.courtiol at gmail.com>, wrote:
>> Did you already sort out your issue?
>>
>> On 28 April 2017 at 17:19, Patrick Schratz <patrick.schratz at gmail.com (mailto:patrick.schratz at gmail.com)> wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> the following error gives me headaches. When building my package on Travis CI (OS X build), I get the following error:
>>>
>>> Building with: R CMD build
>>> 4.64s$ R CMD build .
>>> * checking for file ‘./DESCRIPTION’ ... OK
>>> * preparing ‘RQGIS’:
>>> * checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... OK
>>> * installing the package to build vignettes
>>> -----------------------------------
>>> * installing *source* package ‘RQGIS’ ...
>>> ** R
>>> ** data
>>> *** moving datasets to lazyload DB
>>> ** inst
>>> ** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
>>> Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
>>> unable to load shared object '/Users/travis/R/Library/rgdal/libs/rgdal.so':
>>> dlopen(/Users/travis/R/Library/rgdal/libs/rgdal.so, 6): Library not loaded: /Builds/unix/recipes/build/gdal-2.1.3-obj/libgdal.dylib
>>> Referenced from: /Users/travis/R/Library/rgdal/libs/rgdal.so
>>> Reason: image not found

it looks to me that rgdal.so is looking for libgdal.dylib in
/Builds/unix/recipes/build/build/gdal02.1.3-obj

you can confirm this with the command:

otool -L /Users/travis/R/Library/rgdal/libs/rgdal.so

it will list where it's expecting to find libgdal.dylib

my guess is that the root of the issue is that the libgdal.dylib that
rgdal.so linked against, thinks that it lives at
/Builds/unix/recipes/build/build/gdal02.1.3-obj

you can confirm this with:

otool -L /Builds/unix/recipes/build/gdal-2.1.3-obj/libgdal.dylib

you can change where .so's and .dylibs think they live, and where they
think their dependencies live with the install_name_tool tool.

i can walk you through this off-list if you need.

cheers

jonathon