[R-pkg-devel] R CMD check not finding my vignettes

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 15:41:36 CEST 2017

On 20/04/2017 4:38 AM, David Hugh-Jones wrote:

> Hi Duncan,
>
> Thank you very much for taking the time to look at this.
>
> I tried rebuilding the tar file so as to include only the .Rmd files,
> not the HTML files, in 'vignettes':
>
> drwxr-xr-x  0 david  staff       0 20 Apr 09:21 huxtable/vignettes/
>
> -rw-r--r--  0 david  staff    1633  6 Apr 16:26
> huxtable/vignettes/comparison.csv
>
> -rw-r--r--  0 david  staff    6697  6 Apr 14:44
> huxtable/vignettes/design-principles.Rmd
>
> -rw-r--r--  0 david  staff    5521  6 Apr 14:30
> huxtable/vignettes/huxreg.Rmd
>
> -rw-r--r--  0 david  staff   20552  6 Apr 16:19
> huxtable/vignettes/huxtable.Rmd
>
> -rw-r--r--  0 david  staff      22 17 Mar 00:19
> huxtable/vignettes/placeins-header.tex
>

> But when I run R CMD check, I still get the same warning:
>
> * checking package vignettes in ‘inst/doc’ ... WARNING
>
> Package vignettes without corresponding PDF/HTML:
>
>    ‘design-principles.Rmd’
>
>    ‘huxreg.Rmd’
>
>    ‘huxtable.Rmd’
>
> So, the warning does not seem to be related to the presence of HTML
> files in vignettes.
>
> I also tried manually removing .Rmd files from inst/doc (leaving them
> only in vignettes) but this still gave the same error.
>
> My goal here is that for package-specific reasons, I would like both pdf
> and HTML versions of my vignettes to be available (I am writing code
> that prints HTML and LaTeX tables and want my users to have examples of
> how both output formats work). This is why I build those files manually,
> and place them in inst/doc.

I suspect this will cause troubles if you give them the same base names
as the vignettes.  You can rename them in inst/doc (e.g. to
HTMLdesign-principles.html) and they'll be included as non-vignette
files, but the current setup only allows for one kind of output file.
This is unlikely to change soon, because it affects lots of assumptions
in the code.

> Side comment: at the moment, I feel as if I am running through the
> combinatorics of including and excluding files from vignettes and
> inst/doc, without much insight into what I am doing. Would it be fair to
> say that the current system is not very easy to comprehend?

No, though I think it's fair to say it's not very flexible.  The basic
rules are pretty easy:

- Don't put vignettes (source or output) in inst/doc/.  R CMD build
should do that for you.
- Don't put vignette outputs in vignettes/, just put the source there.

There are ways to bend the rules that some people use (e.g. if running R
CMD build takes too long, some people find tricky ways to copy vignette
outputs without building them), but those are likely pretty fragile.  As
you appear to have found.