[R-pkg-devel] R CMD check not finding my vignettes

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 22:24:35 CEST 2017

On 19/04/2017 1:00 PM, David Hugh-Jones wrote:
> Hi Uwe,
>
> I'm not sure if you ever got my off-list message with my tarball or
> subsequent messages. I can't send a tarball on-list - it gets rejected as
> too large - but here is a dropbox link. If you could confirm receipt, that
> would be extremely helpful!
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/179jrm19kx9o7dz/huxtable_0.2.0.tar.gz?dl=0

Not sure if Uwe has had a chance to look, but I just ran R CMD check on
your tarball using the latest version of R-devel.  It reported the
following problems:

* checking CRAN incoming feasibility ... NOTE
Maintainer: ‘David Hugh-Jones <davidhughjones at gmail.com>’

Found the following (possibly) invalid URLs:
     From: README.md
     CRAN URL not in canonical form
   Canonical CRAN.R-project.org URLs use https.

The URL for your package should be in the form

https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=huxtable

* checking top-level files ... NOTE
Non-standard file/directory found at top level:
   ‘multirow.rds’

I'm not sure where that file belongs, but not there.

* checking files in ‘vignettes’ ... WARNING
Files in the 'vignettes' directory newer than all files in 'inst/doc':
   ‘huxreg.html’, ‘huxtable.html’

Those files shouldn't be in the vignettes directory, they are products
of building the vignettes.  Only the source should normally be in the
vignettes directory.

* checking package vignettes in ‘inst/doc’ ... WARNING
Package vignettes without corresponding PDF/HTML:
    ‘design-principles.Rmd’
    ‘huxreg.Rmd’
    ‘huxtable.Rmd’

I think this is the warning you were asking about.  If I look at just
the first of those files, I see that design-principles.Rmd exists in
vignettes and is set to produce PDF output (only the first output entry
in the YAML counts).  You also have a .html file in vignettes; it
shouldn't be there.  In inst/doc, you have source, .html and .pdf
versions of that file.

The warning isn't very helpful, but I think it is triggered by the fact
that you've got the .html file in your vignettes directory.  If I remove
everything but the source from that directory, and everything from the
inst/doc directory, then all the vignette warnings go away.

(I haven't traced through the code, but I think the warning may be
literally correct.  Since you had .html files that looked like vignette
outputs but weren't, you have vignettes without *corresponding* HTML.
It would have been nicer if it suggested how to fix this, but that
vignette code is quite tricky, because any file could be source, and any
html, tex or pdf file could be output.  At some point I may try to clean
it up a bit and then maybe the error messages will be less obscure.)