[R-pkg-devel] multiple bibentry()s in CITATION

Kasper Daniel Hansen kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 18:20:00 CEST 2017

I apologize for not being clear.  The printing of header depends on the
output style.  Indeed text works, but say
  print(citation("minfi"), style = "HTML")
does not.  Btw., I agree it might be nice to control the printing of header.

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 9:07 AM, Achim Zeileis <Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at>
wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Mar 2017, Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:
>
> Thanks.  It would be great to have this working in 3.4.  In Bioc there are
>> multiple packages with CITATION files with multiple entries, one such
>> example is minfi
>>  bioconductor.org/packages/minfi
>>
>> On my wishlist is that it would be great to have support for printing the
>> header field which many people use to give a context for the citation. This
>> is important because when you list multiple papers you need (I think) some
>> explanation for when to cite the different ones.
>>

> But this is what citation("pkg_name") or print(bibentry_object, style =
> "citation") already do or am I missing something.
>
> I haven't installed "minfi" but just sourced the CITATION into an object x
> and the print(x, style = "citation") seemed to work as intended.
>
> But this is probably a good example where even adding four BibTeX items
> leads to scrolling even on console windows with many lines and columns. In
> these cases it would likely be better not to display any BibTeX and rather
> add a hint as to how the BibTeX can be obtained if desired. In addition to
> Martin's idea with 'citation(package="pkg", bibtex.max=Inf)' one could also
> use 'toBibtex(citation("pkg"))'. The latter, of course, only gives the
> BibTeX but again for long lists like the one in minfi it is probably more
> digestable in separate chunks...
>
> Best,
>
> Best,
>> Kasper
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 7:25 AM, Martin Maechler <
>> maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
>>
>>> wrote:
>>>

>> Fox, John <jfox at mcmaster.ca>
>>>>>>>>

>>>    > Dear Martin,
>>>    > Thanks for addressing this question, if belatedly!
>>>
>>>    > After a little bit of thought, perhaps a default somewhere between 1
>>> and Inf makes sense, along with an additional argument to citation:
>>> citation(package="pkg", bibtex.max=n), with default bibtex.max=
>>> getOption("citation.bibtex.max"), where the citation.bibtex.max option