[R-pkg-devel] The license of a vignette and its translation

Hiroaki Yutani yutani.ini at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 04:41:28 CET 2017

Hi,

To spread the power of great R packages, I and my friends are trying to
translate vignettes of several packages into our local language (Japanese).
But, I'm not fully confident that I understand their licenses well. Are the
following understanding right?

1) Since a vignette is the part of a package, the license written in
DESCRIPTION will be applied also on the vignette.
2) If the license of a package is of FOSS, we are free to translate these
vignettes.
3) If the license is GPL-2/3, we are supposed to license the translated
documents as GPL-2/3 as well.

And, one more question, are there any chance a vignette has a different
license than the other part of the package?

(These questions are not really about package development, so I'm sorry if
this mailing list is not the right place to ask...)

Peace,
Hiroaki Yutani