[R-pkg-devel] no visible global function definition for ‘par’

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 19:00:34 CET 2017

On 30/01/2017 12:04 PM, Cathy Lee Gierke wrote:
> That is the obvious solution, but it doesn't seem correct:  I have pdf
> included in the description, and namespace files, yet it is being called
> out.  Additionally, aren't most of these pkgs in the packages included by
> default?
>
> And up until yesterday, I didn't have any of these problems.  I've been
> compiling and running this for several years.  But now I want to release to
> CRAN, so I've been fixing minor issues....and suddenly this mass of Notes.

For several years R would allow functions from base packages to be
assumed to be on the search list, but it no longer does so (and hasn't
since R 3.3.0).  This is a good thing:  if your user says library(foo),
and the foo package happens to export a pdf() function, your package may
end up using that one, even though you really mean grDevices::pdf().  If
you explicitly import pdf() from grDevices, that won't happen.

Duncan Murdoch