[R-pkg-devel] package API change

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 13:22:29 CET 2017

On 18/01/2017 5:31 AM, Berry Boessenkool wrote:

> What's good practice to inform users about an API change?
>

> The package in question is extremeStat. Apparently, people actually use it.
>
> I don't have a userbase like Hadley, but I do receive emails with feature requests and code change suggestions.
>
> Since the change is rather big (going from version 0.6.0 to 1.3.0 reflects that), some existing scripts may break.
>
> (functions + arguments renamed/removed/restructured; computing functions don't plot anymore, separate plotting functions now do).
>

> I'm considering a package startup message which would be included for a few months.
>

> What do you think?
>
> Any better options / things to consider?

The easiest way for users is if you don't make incompatible changes to
functions, you just add new functions that have your desired changes in
them, and tell users that the old versions will eventually go away.  (Or
just re-implement the old ones using the new ones.)

You can call the .Deprecated() function from the old ones to warn users
every time they are used.