[R-pkg-devel] package API change

Berry Boessenkool berryboessenkool at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 18 11:31:55 CET 2017

What's good practice to inform users about an API change?

The package in question is extremeStat. Apparently, people actually use it.

I don't have a userbase like Hadley, but I do receive emails with feature requests and code change suggestions.

Since the change is rather big (going from version 0.6.0 to 1.3.0 reflects that), some existing scripts may break.

(functions + arguments renamed/removed/restructured; computing functions don't plot anymore, separate plotting functions now do).

I'm considering a package startup message which would be included for a few months.

What do you think?

Any better options / things to consider?

Thanks ahead,

Berry

https://github.com/brry/extremeStat