[R-pkg-devel] robust download function in R (similar to wget)?

Bob Rudis bob at rud.is
Thu Aug 25 16:33:05 CEST 2016

libcurl (which the RCurl & curl packages are built on) do not inherently
have retry or resume partial capabilities, but those could be packaged up
into a "robustdownloader" package. There's no guarantee of wget or curl
binaries being on a system (especially Windows, even with an Rtools
installation, rly great platform there). Windows does have a PowerShell
`wget` alias for `Invoke-WebRequest` but it's woefully less powerful than
wget-proper and doesn't support the features you need and it relies on
PowerShell).

I'd suggest the creation of a separate package for robust downloading and
then relying on that or keep the solution you've got by PR #56.