[R-pkg-devel] Handling Not-Always-Needed Dependencies?

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Wed Aug 3 16:21:05 CEST 2016

On 03.08.2016 16:14, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 3 August 2016 at 16:00, Uwe Ligges wrote:
> | On 03.08.2016 14:24, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> | > Then again, users of TravisCI know that just toggling
> | >
> | > _R_CHECK_FORCE_SUGGESTS_=FALSE
> |
> | I was travelling, hence a delayed response:
> |
> | Why users of TravisCI? It is documented in the manual. Setting it to
>
> Because Travis breaks your check as it works in a cleanroom with only the
> specified packages installed. As it (and that is the gist of my argument)
> should ...

No, because if I suggest a package, I want to check also the code that
uses a suggested package. So I have to have the package installed.

> | true gives an error in the check if the suggested package is not
> | available for the check. And typically you want to have it available to
> | be able to actually check all parts of your package.
> | So this is not what you are looking for.
> |
> | What you suggest means that we would have to run the checks twice, as
> | Duncan explained already, once with and once without the suggetsed
> | package installed.
>
> No, CRAN could just flip that toggle and run once.

I do not get it: It won't make much of a difference because I have most
packages installed. It is only a diffrence for suggested packages that
are not available for my platform, and toggling it means checks always
fail then.

> What Duncan suggested was (as I understand it an empirically-driven
> assessment of what it would take to get from here (set to FALSE, tolerate bad
> Policy) to there (set to TRUE, IMHO better Policy adherence).

You do not understand the environment variable, I believe.

Uwe