[R-pkg-devel] Handling Not-Always-Needed Dependencies?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Aug 3 16:14:46 CEST 2016

On 3 August 2016 at 16:00, Uwe Ligges wrote:
| On 03.08.2016 14:24, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| > Then again, users of TravisCI know that just toggling
| >
| > _R_CHECK_FORCE_SUGGESTS_=FALSE
|
| I was travelling, hence a delayed response:
|
| Why users of TravisCI? It is documented in the manual. Setting it to

Because Travis breaks your check as it works in a cleanroom with only the
specified packages installed. As it (and that is the gist of my argument)
should ...

| true gives an error in the check if the suggested package is not
| available for the check. And typically you want to have it available to
| be able to actually check all parts of your package.
| So this is not what you are looking for.
|
| What you suggest means that we would have to run the checks twice, as
| Duncan explained already, once with and once without the suggetsed
| package installed.

No, CRAN could just flip that toggle and run once.

What Duncan suggested was (as I understand it an empirically-driven
assessment of what it would take to get from here (set to FALSE, tolerate bad
Policy) to there (set to TRUE, IMHO better Policy adherence).

Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org