[R-pkg-devel] Possible mis-spelled words ...

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 01:52:37 CEST 2016

On 21/07/2016 6:50 PM, Jim Lemon wrote:
> Hi all,
> I had a quick look through the tools package, but was unable to find
> the function that checks the DESCRIPTION file.

src/library/tools/R/QC.R near line 6600.

 From the look of the
> functions I did examine, it looks like there will be a call somewhere
> to a spell checker for DESCRIPTION. As I notice a lot of spelling
> mistakes in the help files, spell checking is probably not done for
> most files (or maintainers ignore the notes). Perhaps an argument to
> turn off spell checking (--nospell) might solve the problem as
> misspelling of a crucial word would throw an error regardless.

The ?aspell help topic shows you how to check your own .Rd files.  CRAN
doesn't do those checks.  If you want to turn off the checks on your own
DESCRIPTION file, set the environment variable

_R_CHECK_CRAN_INCOMING_USE_ASPELL_

to FALSE.  But if you do that and let real spelling errors slip through,
the judges won't be merciful.

Duncan Murdoch