[R-pkg-devel] Package license

Daniel Nüst daniel.nuest at uni-muenster.de
Fri Jul 1 10:55:36 CEST 2016

Hi!

First of all: IANAL, please get one :-).

On 01/07/16 10:45, Daniel Lüdecke wrote:
> I'm writing a small package that implements this web-bases effect size
> calculator:
> http://www.campbellcollaboration.org/escalc/html/EffectSizeCalculator-OR5.php
> in R.
>
> The calculator is licensed under the Creative Commons
> Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License. Do I also have to
> use this license for my package? And if so, is this a valid license for
> R packages?

You can probably license your package CC-BY-NC, but you should be aware
that this is not an open source license. I would even say that 95% of R
users would not be able to use your package.

CC discourages usage of this license for software [1], and the
"noncommercial" aspect is incompatible with all existing definitions of
(F)OSS.

> I'm happy to use any appropriate license, but I wanted to be sure to be
> formally correct.

I don't really understand how you want to use the linked file. Are you
re-implementing the functionality? If so, you are not using the software
but the idea. I would recommend to get in touch with the original author
and ask if you can use a regular open source license [2, 3].

Hope this helps,
Daniel

[1]
https://creativecommons.org/faq/#can-i-apply-a-creative-commons-license-to-software
[2] https://cran.r-project.org/web/licenses/
[3] https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-exts.html#Licensing

> --

> Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf; Körperschaft des öffentlichen
> Rechts; Gerichtsstand: Hamburg | www.uke.de
> Vorstandsmitglieder: Prof. Dr. Burkhard Göke (Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr.
> Dr. Uwe Koch-Gromus, Joachim Prölß, Rainer Schoppik

Daniel Nüst
Institute for Geoinformatics (ifgi),   University of Münster
Heisenbergstraße 2, 48149 Münster, Germany; +49 251 83 31962
http://ifgi.uni-muenster.de/~d_nues01        http://o2r.info