[R-pkg-devel] Has GitHub been used as a CRAN-style repository?

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 21:40:26 CEST 2016

Dear Bruce,

On Wed, 27-04-2016, at 19:00, Bruce Hoff <bruce.hoff at sagebase.org> wrote:
> Following up to my earlier post:  It looks like Dirk Eddelbuettel has in
> fact built what I was asking for with 'drat',
> https://github.com/eddelbuettel/drat.  The element that I do not see in
> 'drat' is a way to build Mac and Windows binaries, so I have two follow up
> questons:
> (1) Has anyone extended 'drat' in this way, to create a continuous build
> system, e.g. using Github to host the source of their R package and drat to
> publish the binaries, with a source/Windows/MacOS build system in between?;

Maybe appveyor (https://github.com/krlmlr/r-appveyor) could be of help here
for the Windows part? Appveyor takes care of the continuous
integration. But appveyor also allows you to define (at least some)
"artifacts"; they are used regularly to download the package-name.Rcheck to
examine the logs but maybe it could be tweaked to get it to produce the zip
file.

(Note: this is just a quick idea and my experience with appveyor is fairly
limited; I use to check that some of my packages in github work in windows,
so maybe this will not do what you want).

Best,

R.

> (2) Has CRAN 'open sourced' how they build on Windows and MacOS to allow
> someone to duplicate their build process?  I'm familiar with Rtools,
> https://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/Rtools/installer.html, which is
> certainly a key element, but is there a way to somehow clone the CRAN build
> process, to have some assurance that one is building package binaries the
> same way CRAN does?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bruce Hoff
> Sage Bionetworks
>

> On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 6:37 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:
>

>> Bruce,
>>
>> As Ben and Thierry already mentioned (thanks!!) drat it pretty much
>> designed
>> to support that out of the box (but also supports repos elsewhere; however
>> there are reasons such as gh-pages that make GitHub uniquely suited).  I
>> have
>> some moderately strongly-held beliefs about how install_github is IMHO
>> unsuitable as a _release-mechanism_ which I think of as, say, tarballs
>> taken
>> at author-chosen points in time rather then semi-randomly selected commits
>> you may end with.  And drat supports such releases.  We do have a few
>> examples on CRAN for mixing CRAN with external releases, and some are in
>> fact
>> managed by drat.  We also rely on drat extensively at work for a local
>> repo.
>>
>> When I first wrote drat about a year ago, not everybody "got it" -- so
>> there
>> are a bunch of vignettes, as well as my talk at useR! 2015 about.  Please
>> peruse, and should you have questions do come back here (or file issues at
>> it
>> GitHub repo).
>>
>> Chaers, Dirk
>>
>> --