[R-pkg-devel] Has GitHub been used as a CRAN-style repository?

Bruce Hoff bruce.hoff at sagebase.org
Wed Apr 27 19:00:19 CEST 2016

Following up to my earlier post:  It looks like Dirk Eddelbuettel has in
fact built what I was asking for with 'drat',
https://github.com/eddelbuettel/drat.  The element that I do not see in
'drat' is a way to build Mac and Windows binaries, so I have two follow up
questons:
(1) Has anyone extended 'drat' in this way, to create a continuous build
system, e.g. using Github to host the source of their R package and drat to
publish the binaries, with a source/Windows/MacOS build system in between?;
(2) Has CRAN 'open sourced' how they build on Windows and MacOS to allow
someone to duplicate their build process?  I'm familiar with Rtools,
https://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/Rtools/installer.html, which is
certainly a key element, but is there a way to somehow clone the CRAN build
process, to have some assurance that one is building package binaries the
same way CRAN does?

Thanks,

Bruce Hoff
Sage Bionetworks