[R-pkg-devel] referencing Project Gutenberg license in my package

Julia Silge julia.silge at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 15:44:30 CEST 2016

Hello! I am working on my package for the text of Jane Austen's novels:
https://github.com/juliasilge/janeaustenr
I'm getting it ready to submit to CRAN. I think I have it about ready, but
I believe I should add something about the Project Gutenberg license
somewhere (thanks to Bob Rudis for pointing this out to me; I so appreciate
it). I sourced the text files from Project Gutenberg, processed them a bit,
and packaged them together with documentation, a function to make a tidy
data frame, etc.

Here is Project Gutenberg's license:
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Gutenberg:The_Project_Gutenberg_License

My inclination right now is to put the text of the short version of the
license in a "Details" or "Note" in the documentation for each novel:
"This eBook is for the use of anyone anywhere in the United States and most
other parts of the world at no cost and with almost no restrictions
whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or re-use it under the terms of
the Project Gutenberg License included with this eBook or online at [
www.gutenberg.org]. If you are not located in the United States, you'll
have to check the laws of the country where you are located before using
this ebook."

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks,
Julia Silge