[R-pkg-devel] pdflatex crashes with R CMD check

Thierry Onkelinx thierry.onkelinx at inbo.be
Tue Feb 9 15:33:26 CET 2016

Dear all,

I have a package with a Rnw vignette. The vignette builds without a
problem. R CMD build and R CMD check run without problem on Ubuntu but fail
on Windows.

The problem starts at the point where "R CMD build mypackage" creates the
vignettes.
- First the log shows: "* creating vignettes ..."
- Then I get a popup window stating "pdflatex.EXE stops working".
- I choose to "stop pdflatex.exe".
- R CMD build resumes and displays "* creating vignettes ... OK".

A similar problem occurs wtih "R CMD check --as-cran mypackage_x.z.y.tar.gz"

- The log shows: "* checking re-building of vignette outputs ..."
- Then I get a popup window stating "pdflatex.EXE stops working".
- I choose to "stop pdflatex.exe".
- R CMD check resumes and displays "* checking re-building of vignette
outputs ... OK".
- The log shows: "* checking PDF version of manual ..."
- Then I get a popup window stating "pdflatex.EXE stops working".
- I choose to "stop pdflatex.exe".
- R CMD check resumes and displays "* checking PDF version of manual ...
OK".

The pdf of both the vignette and the manual are compiled in
mypackage.Rcheck. The pdf of the vignette is present in the tar.gz and .zip

The only warning I can find it in Rdaltex.log:
Warning: running command '"C:\R\MIKTEX~1.9\miktex\bin\x64\texify.exe"
 --pdf "Rd2.tex" --max-iterations=20 -I
"c:/R/R-32~1.3/share/texmf/tex/latex" -I
"c:/R/R-32~1.3/share/texmf/bibtex/bst"' had status 1

Does someone has a clue what is going wrong?

Best regards,

Thierry

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Forest