[R-pkg-devel] Run-away R CMD check ?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Dec 12 18:02:37 CET 2015

On 12 December 2015 at 11:36, Paul Gilbert wrote:

| On 12/12/2015 11:00 AM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
| > On 12/12/2015 9:30 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| >>
| >> For Rcpp and friends, I frequently run 'R CMD check' in "batch mode"
| >> over a
| >> large set of packages.  That works fine, apart from taking long :)
| >>
| >> I am using the exact same script (which is home-grown and could do with a
| >> revision, but is public at [1] -- basically just a big loop over a set of
| >> packages), and the exact same ~/.R/check.Renviron.
| >>
| >> Yet on the (bigger, better, newerm ...) machine at work I have three
| >> packages
| >> which get into a loop and never finish R CMD check.
| >>
| >> Any idea why / how and what to do?  Besides skipping these three packages
| >> which I'll do next?
|
| Two possibilities occur to me.
| 1/ Since I am just looking for a way to eliminate "No repository set..."
| and see you had the same concern once, if you actually solved that you
| may be getting into the "...cyclic dependency check" which notes in the
| code suggest may give an endless loop. I've skipped several details I
| don't understand.

No, it's not that. These build fine; they 'merely' go on too long when
running the tests.

| 2/ You can get a lock condition with make -j 2. For example, I have a
| test that can clobber a test db that another test is using, so I have to
| be carefully not to run these in parallel. This is easy to check, if you
| try without parallel make and don't have a problem then it is likely the
| issue.

That is a really good suggestion.  I have so little ram on the older server
here at home that don't usually set a parallel make.   At work I do, and that
may well be the difference.  Will test and report back.

Thanks!

Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org