[R-pkg-devel] Run-away R CMD check ?

Paul Gilbert pgilbert902 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 17:36:11 CET 2015

On 12/12/2015 11:00 AM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 12/12/2015 9:30 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>>
>> For Rcpp and friends, I frequently run 'R CMD check' in "batch mode"
>> over a
>> large set of packages.  That works fine, apart from taking long :)
>>
>> I am using the exact same script (which is home-grown and could do with a
>> revision, but is public at [1] -- basically just a big loop over a set of
>> packages), and the exact same ~/.R/check.Renviron.
>>
>> Yet on the (bigger, better, newerm ...) machine at work I have three
>> packages
>> which get into a loop and never finish R CMD check.
>>
>> Any idea why / how and what to do?  Besides skipping these three packages
>> which I'll do next?

Two possibilities occur to me.
1/ Since I am just looking for a way to eliminate "No repository set..."
and see you had the same concern once, if you actually solved that you
may be getting into the "...cyclic dependency check" which notes in the
code suggest may give an endless loop. I've skipped several details I
don't understand.

2/ You can get a lock condition with make -j 2. For example, I have a
test that can clobber a test db that another test is using, so I have to
be carefully not to run these in parallel. This is easy to check, if you
try without parallel make and don't have a problem then it is likely the
issue.

Paul Gilbert