[R-pkg-devel] R CMD check NOTE - Long paths in package

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 11:02:37 CEST 2015

On 13 Oct 2015, at 09:42 , Uwe Ligges <ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de> wrote:

> On 13.10.2015 09:01, Barry Rowlingson wrote:

>>> Yes.

>>> Wrong.
>>>
>>> 'BH' is called 'BH', believe it or not, to save a few letters, or else I
>>> would have a dozen or more files complain for the very same reason (and CRAN
>>> reject it for non-suitable path/filenames).  Hence not 'BoostHeaders' but
>>> just 'BH'. And see the ChangeLog of BH and revel in how _each_ release has to
>>> rename one of the Runge-Kutta integration files to make the 'net' path length
>>> be suitable for R packing.
>>>
>>> There is no point in ignoring the output of R CMD check unless you _really_
>>> know better.
>>
>>  But is it worth asking if the NOTE's restriction could be lifted,
>> given that from what I read on wikipedia that the "tar" file format
>> has been happy with long path names since 2001? Given that R-Core/CRAN
>> sometimes refer to R versions from a year ago as "obsolete", how can
>> they complain about sticking with a file format restriction from the
>> last century? I've just happily made a tar file with a path that is
>> 1300 chars long containing a file with a name of 160 chars .
>>
>>  Or are there still old versions of tar around, or other file systems
>> with restrictive naming practices (in which case the error should be
>> about the names/paths of the files themselves, not that old versions
>> of tar can't cope with them)?
>
> Yes, some Unixes seem to have old tar versions installed.

Yes, it is somewhat harder to deem entire OSs obsolete...

But: How old versions and how common is the issue?

Mainstream Unix is essentially Linux and OS X these days. OS X seems to be stuck in 2010 (BSD tar 2.8.3), at least up until Yosemite. Linux distros usually keep themselves up to date, except for the enterprise/long upgrade cycle ones that can be like 5 years outdated. Less common, but still in use, are FreeBSD, Solaris and AIX.

It _is_ a valid question for how long we want out-of-the-box support for OSs that use obsolete tools. At some point we could decide that the more obscure Unices would have to install a recent version (with the R configuration arranging to set TAR=/usr/local/bin/gtar or somesuch).

-pd