[R-pkg-devel] Warnings with reverse dependencies in mutually dependend packages?

Daniel Lüdecke d.luedecke at uke.de
Tue Aug 25 20:14:13 CEST 2015

Short addition: and I can't update package A first, because package B also got a new function, which I'm also using in package A. So, the update of package A requires a function which will first be available in the update of package B...

Am 25.08.2015 um 19:39 schrieb Daniel Lüdecke <d.luedecke at uke.de>:

> Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, both packages will work. It's just that I renamed some functions in package B (e.g. `get_val_labels` to `get_labels`) and calling `get_val_labels` now throws a "deprecated"-warning (I'm using `.Deprecated` in that function call).
>
> Thus, checking reverse dependencies, my current package A on CRAN will of course give warnings due to calling old function names, however, I already updated package A accordingly, which will no longer throw warnings once both packages A and B are updated on CRAN.
>
> Also, I'm already using version identifiers in my DESCRIPTION file, so depend packages with correct required versions should be installed.
>
> I guess it's not important, but the packages I'm talking about are `sjPlot` and `sjmisc`.
>
> Best
> Daniel
>
> Am 25.08.2015 um 16:56 schrieb Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com>:
>
>> On 25/08/2015 9:48 AM, Daniel Lüdecke wrote:
>>> I maintain two packages, which are kind of "mutually depending" on each
>>> other. Now I have updated package A, like to submit it - however, it
>>> produces warnings (in my package B) when doing the reverse dependency
>>> check. Yet I cannot fix the warnings in package B and submit it, since
>>> it relies on new functions of package A, which has to be submitted
>>> first... and so on.
>>>
>>> My question: is it ok to submit package A, saying that I'm aware of the
>>> warnings in package B, which are already fixed, and that I would submit
>>> package B after package A has been released on CRAN?
>>

>> It's not clear to me whether both packages will work in the time when
>> you've updated A but not B.  If not, this is a bad idea:  users of your
>> packages will be left with broken systems.
>>
>> If you want to make incompatible changes to A, and B is the only reverse
>> dependency, then you could update both at once.  When you submit the
>> first one, say that the other submission is coming as well.
>>
>> You should also be making use of version specifiers in your DESCRIPTION
>> file.  If B version 2 won't work with A version 1, then say that, via
>>
>> Depends:  A (>=2.0.0)
>>
>> Duncan Murdoch

Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf; Körperschaft des öffentlichen Rechts; Gerichtsstand: Hamburg | www.uke.de
Vorstandsmitglieder: Prof. Dr. Burkhard Göke (Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr. Dr. Uwe Koch-Gromus, Joachim Prölß, Rainer Schoppik