[R-pkg-devel] how to make "r-release-osx-x86_64-mavericks" machine support rgl 3D plots

Dr Gregory Jefferis jefferis at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Sun Aug 16 14:47:09 CEST 2015

Dear Duncan,

On 12 Aug 2015, at 14:07, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> A while ago I added support in rgl to run on headless machines.  Set
> the
> environment variable RGL_USE_NULL=TRUE before loading rgl, and should
> never try to call X11 (or whatever graphics system you're using).
> (It's also possible to use options(rgl.useNULL = TRUE) within R.
> That's
> no help to you, but is useful when embedding rgl plots in knitr
> documents.)

Could I just check if this approach can be used to suppress example code
including rgl calls when it is running on CRAN as part of R CMD check? I
have a package that does not build on r-release-osx-x86_64-mavericks
because there appears to be a problem with rgl and the examples fail:

https://www.r-project.org/nosvn/R.check/r-release-osx-x86_64-mavericks/nat-00check.html

Of course I could put all the examples inside dontrun blocks, but I do
prefer to have them run.

Many thanks for any suggestions,

Greg.

--
Gregory Jefferis, PhD                   Tel: +44 1223 267048
Division of Neurobiology

http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/group-leaders/h-to-m/g-jefferis
http://jefferislab.org
http://flybrain.stanford.edu