[R-pkg-devel] Bug? Makevars ignores FC=mpif90

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 19:41:31 CEST 2015

> On 10 Aug 2015, at 19:25 , Ignacio Martinez <ignacio82 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm learning to develop R packages that use Fortran (and MPI). I recently
> asked a question on stack-overflow and I was told to contact this list with
> a followup question.
>
> When I add to src/Makevars the follwoing line
>
> FC=mpif90
>
> Rstudio ignores it when I click `Build and Reload`.  But, if I create a
> Makevars file in a .R/ directory in my$HOME directory with that line,
> Rstudio uses mpif90.
>
> Is the fact that R is ignoring the src/Makevars a bug? If not, am I doing
> something wrong?

Ask differently: Does it say anywhere that the build process should use src/Makevars?

Also notice that an important part of the package concept is that packages can be distributed. The recipient's Fortran compiler is not necessarily "mpif90". So, generally speaking, build configuration belongs in the build environment, not in the package.

-pd