[R-pkg-devel] recreating CRAN Testing environment

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Jul 20 20:16:32 CEST 2015

Jonathan,

On 20 July 2015 at 13:59, Ben Bolker wrote:
| On 15-07-20 01:50 PM, Jonathan Callahan wrote:
| > In an effort to save time and effort on both ends, can anyone
| > advise on what I need to do to generate ALL the warning messages
| > that the CRAN testing will find?
|
|    The most important thing that you haven't explicitly mentioned is
| to test on the most recent development version of R (check out via
| Subversion/configure/make/make install from scratch).  Can you adjust
| your DigitalOcean settings accordingly?

Seconded.

Recipes how to build R-devel from source have circulated for years. [1] "As
it works for me" I still keep a svn checkout which I update maybe once a week
(or whenever I become aware of a new issue) to rebuild.

For those familiar with Docker, Carl and I also provide both a small image for
Rocker ('drd' for daily r-devel) and a larger one ('r-devel', still contains
development libraies). [2]  Use of those should be straightforward on eg
digital ocean.

For what it is worth, I had about five different packages go onto CRAN in the
last week. None required a second iteration -- but testing with R-devel is a
key part of the process.

Dirk

[1] Here is one which Google just found for me. I may have posted this
    earlier too:
    https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-debian/2012-August/001935.html

[2] https://github.com/rocker-org/rocker on GitHub and
    https://registry.hub.docker.com/repos/rocker/ at Docker