[R-pkg-devel] Are import-export-only packages allowed on CRAN?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Jul 6 12:47:29 CEST 2015

Hi Richie,

On 5 July 2015 at 19:17, Richard Cotton wrote:
| One piece of feedback that I received at useR was that the assertive
| package is getting too big, and should be broken down into smaller
| pieces.
|
| I want to split the functionality into assertive.base,
| assertive.types, and a few others, then have the assertive package as
| a virtual package (suggestions for better terminology welcomed) that
| just imports and reexports the contents of the underlying pieces.
|
| That way end-users can can still type library(assertive) and have the
| same behaviour as before, and package developers who worry about
| having lightweight dependencies can just use the parts that they need.
|
| Before I do the refactoring, I wanted to check that it is OK to have a
| package without any of its own content (other than vignettes) on CRAN.
| Is it OK?

That is a pure CRAN question; maybe someone from CRAN wants to chime in or
else you need to ask directly.

Greg Warnes has/had such a meta package (which I look after in Debian as a
still-existing-there whole and componentds), and Henrik does too.  What **I
think** the practice is now discouraged somewhere in WRE or CRP.  But no
direct reference, sorry,

Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org