[R-pkg-devel] no visible global function definition

Zhian Kamvar kamvarz at science.oregonstate.edu
Mon Jun 29 19:25:29 CEST 2015

Does this also mean that we now need to include these packages (stats, graphics, etc) in the Imports field of the DESCRIPTION?

Thanks,
Zhian
> On Jun 29, 2015, at 10:09 , Kevin Ushey <kevinushey at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Uwe,
>
> It seems like this is quite a major change; I imagine it will affect many
> packages (since lots of packages implicitly assume other 'base' packages,
> like 'utils', will always be available in an R session). IIUC, in the
> latest versions of R-devel, only the 'base' package can be assumed
> available; everything else must be explicitly imported.
>
> https://github.com/wch/r-source/commit/dba5a49dcae7e9bcb8528cf78fd9d51f092652b2
>
> Is there any chance that such changes could be made in announcements on
> R-pkg-devel? Or, as an aside, would it be permissible for non-R-core
> members to make such announcements on this list?
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin
>
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 8:46 AM, Uwe Ligges <ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
>> wrote:
>

>> On 29.06.2015 11:10, Daniel Lüdecke wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm doing my package check for CRAN, in order to see whether submitting
>>> the
>>> package-update passes all checks.
>>> I'm doing the tests under Windows 7, using R-Version "R Under development
>>> (unstable) (2015-06-28 r68602)".
>>>
>>> Now I got a quite long list of NOTEs, which are probably no problem,
>>> however, I would like to fix these issues, if possible.
>>>
>>> It seems that all base and/or stats function now produce a note concering
>>> the visible global function definition. Here's a short example of my
>>> output
>>> from my package check:
>>>
>>> sjp.grpfrq: no visible global function definition for 'sd'
>>> sjp.grpfrq: no visible global function definition for 'plot'
>>> sjp.int: no visible global function definition for 'sd'
>>> sjp.int: no visible global function definition for 'quantile'
>>> sjp.int: no visible global function definition for 'plogis'
>>> sjp.likert: no visible global function definition for 'xtabs'
>>> sjp.likert: no visible binding for global variable 'offset'
>>> sjp.likert: no visible global function definition for 'plot'
>>> sjp.lm: no visible global function definition for 'coef'
>>> sjp.lm: no visible global function definition for 'coefficients'
>>> sjp.lm: no visible global function definition for 'confint'