[R-pkg-devel] R CMD check "no-nanny" option?

Henrik Singmann singmann at psychologie.uzh.ch
Fri Jun 12 00:05:10 CEST 2015

To further expand on what has been said before with my own experiences:

After submitting a package and missing those two NOTES (probably because
I did not use the latest R-devel) my submission was rejected and I was
asked to change my DESCRIPTION file.

In other words, packages throwing these NOTEs do not seem to be accepted
on CRAN any more. You probably have to remove "This package..."

Proof: http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/MPTinR/
(see archive for versions starting with "This package")

Cheers,
Henrik

Am 11.06.2015 um 16:41 schrieb Martyn Plummer:
> On Thu, 2015-06-11 at 09:31 -0400, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>> On 11/06/2015 9:15 AM, Kevin Coombes wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> When I run "R CMD check --as-cran" on my packages in R 3.2.0, I now get
>>> a new series of NOTE's telling me that (1) the Description field in the
>>> DESCRIPTION should file should not start with "This package" or with the
>>> package name, and (2) the Title field in the DESCRIPTION file should be
>>> in title case.
>>>
>>> Question: Is there any way to turn these notes off and still get the
>>> rest of cran-style checking?
>>>
>>> Grumpy Observation: In reaction to (1), I went to CRAN and randomly
>>> clicked on a dozen packages to see how many of them follow this rule.
>>> Half of them violate it explicitly, mostly just starting with "This
>>> package...".  Most of the rest get around it by starting with a sentence
>>> fragment that omits the subject (which is _implicitly_ "this package").
>>> Only one of them started with a complete sentence that gave the
>>> background of the problem the package was intended to solve.
>>>
>>> I strongly believe that it's better to write complete sentences than
>>> sentence fragments in the Description field. And since the empirical
>>> evidence suggest that almost everyone at least implicitly starts their
>>> description with "This package", I'm not sure why the NOTE ever got
>>> added in the first place....
>>
>> Presumably those packages were last updated before the tests were added.
>
> To expand on Duncan's point, my understanding is that a NOTE does not,
> by itself, trigger a request for a package update. However, when you do
> send an update to CRAN it should be free of NOTEs, or the ones that do
> remain should be explained.
>
> R checks can be customized by setting certain environment variables of
> the form _R_CHECK_*_.  See R Internals section 8, which lists them
> (including a set that will approximate the CRAN tests) and Writing R
> Extensions section 1.3 which tells you how to set them.  But of course
> --as-cran is exactly what you need if you intend to submit a package to
> CRAN.
>
> Martyn
>
>> I don't know the answer to your question other than the generic "Of
>> course there is, R is open source", but I don't really see the point of
>> deeper research:  you can certainly ignore the NOTEs more easily than
>> suppressing them, so why not do that?
>>
>> Duncan Murdoch

Dr. Henrik Singmann
PostDoc