[R-pkg-devel] Extending MIT software

Neal Fultz nfultz at gmail.com
Thu May 28 19:10:27 CEST 2015

IANAL, but if you are just importing or depending on another package, you
shouldn't need to worry about this. If you
copied their code into your own package, you should probably rethink your

At my job, several of my coworkers had copy/pasted code from stack
overflow, which carries a CC license. This is
hypothetically a problem if anyone ever tried to buy our code base or
company. To clean it up, I moved all of the functions
 into a separate stackoverflow package which had the correct license and

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 8:48 AM, Charles Determan <cdetermanjr at gmail.com>

> When developing a new package we want to have a license attributed to that
> package.  That said, I am a little confused how one would approach the MIT
> license.  I am working on a package that extends upon another library that
> has the MIT license.  I know that I need to create a LICENSE file with YEAR
> My question is, would the copyright holder be just the authors for this
> given R package or a combination of the R package authors and the original
> library authors?
> Regards,
> Charles
>         [[alternative HTML version deleted]]
> ______________________________________________
> R-package-devel at r-project.org mailing list
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-package-devel

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

More information about the R-package-devel mailing list