[R-pkg-devel] CRAN check for package on Sparc Solaris (or other architectures)

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Tue May 26 00:24:54 CEST 2015

For what it's worth I did install a Solaris VM on one of my machines
so I could run tests.  This does seem a little over the top as a
requirement for all package developers though ... I have easy access
to MacOS and Ubuntu so I usually test there and on win-builder as
well.

In my case, I eventually found that the warnings (related to some
parallelized code) could be reproduced in batch mode but *not* in
interactive mode on Solaris, so I just gave up and disabled the tests
on Solaris via     if (Sys.info()["sysname"] != "SunOS")  (shame on me
...)

A wish-list/discussion item for the CRAN maintainers would to be add a
step to the submission process, in between pushing the button to
confirm submission to CRAN and any CRAN maintainers having to look at
the submission/interact with the submitter, would be for the CRAN
results to get posted somewhere the submitter could see them.  If
there were errors or warnings the submission would be automatically
rejected ... if there were notes the submitter would then have to add
a comment/press another button justifying that it was OK to ignore
them ... if the submission was completely clean it could automatically
go on to the CRAN maintainers ...

I don't know what the costs of this would be, beyond implementing it
in the first place. It might encourage more load on the CRAN system by
allowing developers to use it as a test rig (although the
"automatically submit to CRAN if clean" behaviour would certainly
discourage this), but it's hard for me to imagine that it wouldn't be
worth it ...