[R] Can someone please have a look at my query on stackoverflow ?

Ashim Kapoor @@h|mk@poor @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue May 28 09:08:36 CEST 2024

Dear Uwe and others,

Here is my query:

I am looking for a function which can:-

take a seasonal ARMA model

and return :-

the spectrum of the seasonal ARMA model.

I have seen:

library(astsa)
?arma.spec

However it's a bit clumsy to use arma.spec when my model has seasonal
ar / ma terms.

For example (from the help page of arma.spec) we have that, we may
compute the spectrum of a seasonal AR model like this:

Notice: How we have a seasonal AR term of order one,
which is being fed to arma.spec by converting the seasonal lag to a
non-seasonal lag:

arma.spec(ar=c(rep(0,11),.4), ma=.5, col=5, lwd=3, frequency=12)

I will illustrate my difficulty as follows:

> plot(AirPassengers)
> auto.arima(log(AirPassengers))
Series: log(AirPassengers)
ARIMA(0,1,1)(0,1,1)[12]

Coefficients:
          ma1     sma1
      -0.4018  -0.5569
s.e.   0.0896   0.0731

sigma^2 = 0.001371:  log likelihood = 244.7
AIC=-483.4   AICc=-483.21   BIC=-474.77

I do not know how to programmatically feed the above model to arma.spec.

I have tried:

auto.arima(log(AirPassengers))$coef
arma.spec(auto.arima(log(AirPassengers))$coef,frequency=12)

I manually convert the seasonal MA to non-seasonal MA model and give
it to arma.spec and I get a different picture.

arma.spec(ma=c(-.4,rep(0,10),-.55))

Hence I conclude that arma.spec does not understand seasonal models.

Query : How can I conveniently plot the spectrum of a seasonal ARMA process ?

Note : I wonder if there is a library which converts seasonal model to
non-seasonal model which perhaps can then be used with arma.spec.

Many thanks,
Ashim