[R] Rprofile.site and automatic installation of missing packages

PIKAL Petr petr@p|k@| @end|ng |rom prechez@@cz
Tue Mar 21 13:04:42 CET 2023

Dear all.

I am trying to install missing (not installed) packages during startup of R
through code in Rprofile.site but I miserably failed and I am not sure what
I am doing wrong.

R is installed to C:Program files but it is not writable for the users,
therefore I cannot change Rprofile.site located in root etc directory. I
however can put Rprofile.site in users home directory (Documents) and use it
for R startup setting (partly).

However I want for less experienced users to put a code here to check
installed packages, check if some specified set of packages is installed and
install them, but it is not working.

The code in Rprofile.site is:

#**********

test <- scan("pack.txt", character(), quote = "")

inst <- installed.packages()

install.packages(test[!test %in% inst], repos="https://cloud.r-project.org")

#**********

An example of pack.txt is e.g.

ggplot2

zoo

but the code is not executed and packages are not installed. If I use this
code after R starts, everything is OK and packages are installed to

> Sys.getenv("R_LIBS_USER")

[1] "C:\\Users\\PikalP\\AppData\\Local/R/win-library/4.2"

The same applies if I put e.g. library(MASS) in the Rprofile.site, the
package is not loaded but after R is live, library(MASS) loads a package.

So my question is What is the best way to check after fresh R installation
if some predefined set of packages is installed and if not, perform an
installation without user intervention in Windows environment?

S pozdravem | Best Regards

Petr