[R] Is there a canonical way to pronounce CRAN?

Ebert,Timothy Aaron tebert @end|ng |rom u||@edu
Fri May 6 14:02:24 CEST 2022

Could also be a glottal stop. American's encounter the problem with Hawaiian words, in part because we typically leave out the glottal stop when we spell them. Hawaii versus Hawai'I for example. If some can leave out the glottal stop, why not add it if it makes the word easier to pronounce to get C'RAN versus CRAN.

-----Original Message-----
From: R-help <r-help-bounces using r-project.org> On Behalf Of Richard O'Keefe
Sent: Friday, May 6, 2022 3:15 AM
To: Roland Rau <rau using demogr.mpg.de>
Cc: R Project Help <r-help using r-project.org>
Subject: Re: [R] Is there a canonical way to pronounce CRAN?

[External Email]

I would like to point out that there is an English word "cran" (one syllable, rhymes with "can" "ban" "than" ...).
It means "
a measure of fresh herrings, equivalent to 37 1/2 gallons".

If you are going to use "CRAN" as the name of something,

you are going to have to expect me to pronounce it like

the English word "cran".
I've been aware of CPAN and CTAN since their inception, but it never occurred to pronounce the "C" as "sea".
I've been pronouncing those as "c'PAN" and "c'TAN" with a schwa, as in "The Ballad of Lost C'Mell"
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_The-5FBallad-5Fof-5FLost-5FC-2527Mell&d=DwICAg&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=9PEhQh2kVeAsRzsn7AkP-g&m=oZZCgXE7cv8lexIiRyLIB30gZuVs8jjOWtdXMp-sxO3ZpsvtXcqYzgbA_WrQykkE&s=zu21-OJR3WLT9xoUYTtfDSHgs3LDe4eoJHa9g7CNK_4&e=