[R] Is there a canonical way to pronounce CRAN?

Richard O'Keefe r@oknz @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri May 6 09:15:01 CEST 2022

I would like to point out that there is an English word
"cran" (one syllable, rhymes with "can" "ban" "than" ...).
It means "
a measure of fresh herrings, equivalent to 37 1/2 gallons".

If you are going to use "CRAN" as the name of something,

you are going to have to expect me to pronounce it like

the English word "cran".
I've been aware of CPAN and CTAN since their inception, but
it never occurred to pronounce the "C" as "sea".
I've been pronouncing those as "c'PAN" and "c'TAN" with a
schwa, as in "The Ballad of Lost C'Mell"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ballad_of_Lost_C%27Mell