[R] tidying up

Avi Gross @v|gro@@ @end|ng |rom ver|zon@net
Sun Feb 27 22:59:41 CET 2022

Indeed, Jim, the hopeful purpose of interactions here is to help people without doing the job for them. As you note, sometimes it is help in getting them to formulate what they are trying to do and maybe see the resolution on their own, or give enough info that others can troubleshoot.

I have dealt with people on and off forums like this who know very little and have done some rudimentary search and found something they hope is helpful and then get stuck. Some have no actual interest in learning R or Python or anything and see it as a one-time thing. For them, any sustained interaction is just frustrating. Others may want a tutor, albeit mahy of us here are not willing or able to provide endless hours to volunteer. And some, may be better off spending the money to hire someone and I assume there are places they can be directed.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Lemon <drjimlemon using gmail.com>
To: Avi Gross <avigross using verizon.net>
Cc: r-help using r-project.org <r-help using r-project.org>
Sent: Sun, Feb 27, 2022 4:52 pm
Subject: Re: [R] tidying up

Hi Avi,
I just sent in an answer to a very simple question. In many cases it
seems to me that the real problem isn't apparent from the request.
ektaraK appears to have almost no experience with R (sorry if I'm
wrong). A person in this position may sort of know what they want to
do but do not know how to ask the question. What's a reproducible
example? So I often submit really dumb looking answers that show the
person how to ask the question. If I'm successful, the OP learns how
to do some basic operation, but also learns how to ask the next
question. Until they get there, most responses just give them a typing
exercise.

Jim