[R] Volume / Area from MDT

Ebert,Timothy Aaron tebert @end|ng |rom u||@edu
Tue Feb 15 22:27:35 CET 2022

In posting to R-sig-geo consider what parts of my answer do not work for you and phrase your question to get a better answer. The simple answer that comes to mind is that volume is the length times width of a pixel times its height. Surface area is the mean absolute value of the hypotenuse between the current pixel and its neighbors multiplied by the average length of the sides (at least that is my first guess, and subject to revision if I were to think about it more carefully). On the other hand, a trivial answer is that the area is effectively infinite as area will continue to increase as your magnification increases.

-----Original Message-----
From: R-help <r-help-bounces using r-project.org> On Behalf Of Jeff Newmiller
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2022 3:58 PM
To: r-help using r-project.org; julio cesar oliveira <oliveirajc1 using gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [R] Volume / Area from MDT

[External Email]

You don't appear to have read the Posting Guide mentioned below, which mentions the R-sig-geo mailing list and warns you to send your email using the plain text format rather than HTML so they will see the same thing you saw when you sent it.

I would recommend being more specific about your data (format? how did you import it?) and calculation details (what if there are two adjacent mountains?) when you post on the other mailing list.