[R] QGIS and R

Sarah Goslee @@r@h@go@|ee @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Apr 23 16:48:14 CEST 2022

Hi Nick,

There's a geospatial mailing list that might be helpful (r-sig-geo),
but also you don't give enough information to help.

Are you running Windows?
What version of QGIS did you install?
Where did you get RQGIS from - it is no longer on CRAN, and is
obsolete and not recommended because it only supports QGIS2
(https://github.com/r-spatial/RQGIS).

One option might be to try RQGIS3
(https://github.com/r-spatial/RQGIS3), but again there the developers
suggest that you don't, and offer some other possibilities.

The geospatial capabilities built into R are very good, and you might
not even need QGIS as part of your main workflow. Look into the sf and
raster (or terra) packages for vector and raster processing,
respectively.

Good resources include https://r-spatial.org and the spatial data
science book at https://keen-swartz-3146c4.netlify.app

Sarah

On Sat, Apr 23, 2022 at 10:32 AM Nick Wray <nickmwray using gmail.com> wrote:

> For my PhD researches I am trying to get to grips with QGIS and in
> particular with using QGIS within R, but it's a steep and tricky learning
> curve.  For example I have installed RQGIS successfully but any example
> programs won't run because (apparently)  I haven't got x-display enabled -
> I haven't got the foggiest what that is or how to get it.  So basically my
> question is - can anyone recommend any sources/websites/books/videos etc
> which would give examples/walkthroughs/explanations of how to get off the
> ground with QGIS in R/RQGIS etc?  Thanks Nick Wray

Sarah Goslee (she/her)
http://www.numberwright.com