[R] Confused by error message: Error in assign(".popath", popath, .BaseNamespaceEnv)

Tiffany Vidal t|||@ny@v|d@| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Apr 12 05:59:35 CEST 2022

 I am trying to install a package and am getting an unusual (to me) error:

devtools::install_github("MikkoVihtakari/ggOceanMapsData")

Error in assign(".popath", popath, .BaseNamespaceEnv) :
cannot change value of locked binding for '.popath'
Calls: local ... eval.parent -> eval -> eval -> eval -> eval -> assign

I have modified the R_USER, R_LIBS, HOME, etc settings to try and get R and
knitr to behave. I have been successful there, but now this error. Any
thoughts on what this means and how to fix the issue would be welcomed.

I found a similar post that indicated clearing the R history worked to
solve the issue, but that did not for me.

It appears to be associated with the base package and ".popath is a
variable created at startup which records where the translations package in
use is." I have noted that the translations package does exist in my R_LIBS
location.

I am not sure how to troubleshoot this error. Thanks in advance.

Session info:
R version 4.1.3 (2022-03-10)
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
Running under: Windows 10 x64 (build 19044)