[R] readline in function call with space in prompt.

Tue Feb 9 10:37:49 CET 2021

    > Hello,
    > I have noticed a behavior that I don't understand. When I call the
    > following function from the prompt.
    > test <- function(){
    > a <- readline("selection: ")
    > }

    >> test()
    >> selection: |
    > I can only type one character and the readline function exits before I can
    > press enter.

    > however

    > test1 <- function(){
    > a <- readline("selection:")
    > }
    >> test1()
    >> selection:|
    > works as expected.
    >> selection: abc[Ret]

    > However calling directly readline with a space in the prompt does what I
    > would expect.

    >> a <- readline("selection: ")
    >> selection: abc[Ret]
    >> "abc"

    > It is the expected behavior or am I missing something?

    > Best regards,
    > Jeremie
    > --
    > Jeremie Juste
    >> R version 4.0.3 (2020-10-10)

Given that the above works fine in Linux (for Jim Lemon and Rolf Turner),

could you tell us *how* you use R?
In the (Windows) RGui  or from Rstudio  or  ESS   or yet another way?

Usually the UI (user interface) should not matter, but rather
the R version etc.
But the UI may be important for a function like readline()
which does UI ..

Martin