[R] /usr/local/lib/R/site-library is not writable

Thu Apr 8 00:45:31 CEST 2021

1. Use a personal library. Mucking with the default library puts you at risk of changing file permissions on your personal files inadvertently and making them unusable by your normal user. Even if you did alter your user permissions so you could mess with it without elevating privileges, POSIX is designed as a multi-user system and the other users will generally not like having shared packages changed without their knowledge.

2. The default library is where R goes looking if you don't have the desired package in your personal package. It is normally updated only when the R software is updated.