[R] Why does a 2 GB RData file exceed my 16GB memory limit when reading it in?

Leandro Marino |e@ndrom@r|no @end|ng |rom |e@ndrom@r|no@com@br
Thu Sep 3 01:21:53 CEST 2020

David,

If the ".Rdata" contains more than one object you could (and maybe should
use) the SOAR package (from Venables). This package helps you to split the
objects over multiple RData files. It's useful when you have numerous
medium-large objects in the workspace but doesn't use then at the same
time.

When use SOAR::Attach(), for instance, it loads the current name of all the
objects and retain than available in the searchpath but without load then
to the memory. As you call, they will be loaded into the memory.

If needed, you can update the object and then store it again with the
SOAR::Store()

For my use, this package is terrific! I use it with an analysis that I need
to repeat over medium-large similars datasets.

Best
Leandro