[R] Why does a 2 GB RData file exceed my 16GB memory limit when reading it in?

David Jones d@v|d@tn@jone@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Sep 2 23:31:53 CEST 2020

Thank you Uwe, John, and Bert - this is very helpful context.

If it helps inform the discussion, to address John and Bert's
questions - I actually had less memory free when I originally ran the
analyses and saved the workspace, than when I read in the data back in
later on (I rebooted in an attempt to free all possible memory before
rereading the workspace back in).