[R] Inappropriate color name

Mark Hall mh@||89446 @end|ng |rom @tt@net
Wed Nov 18 06:04:46 CET 2020

And then there is also the issue of some people seeing it offensive and others not seeing it offensive (and both camps are in the minority group).  Case inpoint is look at the term being used for self-identification with California Native American groups List of Federally-Recognized Tribes in CA | Links and Resources

|  |  |

|  |
List of Federally-Recognized Tribes in CA | Links and Resources

The Indian Health Service (IHS), an agency within the Department of Health and Human Services, is responsible fo...

I also distinctly remember in the NAGPRA brouha of 2008 on the UC Berkeley campus when the Metis chancellor of UCB at the time told several groups the term Indian was derogatory and shouldn't be used--a variety of California Native Americans gave him a piece of their mind in no uncertain terms...
Best, Mark E Hall
    On Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 7:22:33 AM PST, T. A. Milne via R-help <r-help using r-project.org> wrote:

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 07:54:01 +1100Jim Lemon <drjimlemon using gmail.com> <mailto:drjimlemon using gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Elaine,There seems to be a popular contest to discover offence everywhere. Idon't think that it does anything against racism, sexism orantidisestablishmentarianism. Words are plucked from our vast lexiconto comfort or insult our fellows depending upon the intent of theuser. It is the intent that matters, not the poor word. Chasing thewords wastes your time, blames those who use the words harmlessly,and gives the real offender time to find another epithet.

Jim:  This is superbly expressed.  I wish that I could have saidthat! Your posting should go down in the annals of brilliant rhetoric,alongside Dr. Johnson's "Letter to Lord Chesterfield".cheers,Rolf
-- Honorary Research FellowDepartment of StatisticsUniversity of AucklandPhone: +64-9-373-7599 ext. 88276

To Rolf's excellent example, I would add Mandy Rice-Davies' immortal words from the witness box.

- T. Arthur Milne