[R] Inappropriate color name

T. A. Milne m||net@ @end|ng |rom tut@@|o
Tue Nov 17 15:18:29 CET 2020

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 07:54:01 +1100Jim Lemon <drjimlemon using gmail.com> <mailto:drjimlemon using gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Elaine,There seems to be a popular contest to discover offence everywhere. Idon't think that it does anything against racism, sexism orantidisestablishmentarianism. Words are plucked from our vast lexiconto comfort or insult our fellows depending upon the intent of theuser. It is the intent that matters, not the poor word. Chasing thewords wastes your time, blames those who use the words harmlessly,and gives the real offender time to find another epithet.

Jim:  This is superbly expressed.  I wish that I could have saidthat! Your posting should go down in the annals of brilliant rhetoric,alongside Dr. Johnson's "Letter to Lord Chesterfield".cheers,Rolf
-- Honorary Research FellowDepartment of StatisticsUniversity of AucklandPhone: +64-9-373-7599 ext. 88276

To Rolf's excellent example, I would add Mandy Rice-Davies' immortal words from the witness box.

- T. Arthur Milne