[R] Automating package updates after major version change

Rich Shepard r@hep@rd @end|ng |rom @pp|-eco@y@@com
Thu May 14 23:21:43 CEST 2020

On Thu, 14 May 2020, Jeff Newmiller wrote:

> On the contrary... that is the use case in which it makes the least sense
> to muck with system files. System files are maintained using system
> package management tools which at best lag terribly, while R packages are
> much easier to manage using R's internal package tools with no elevated
> privileges.

Jeff,

I must not be following your thoughts. The slackbuilds.org group maintains a
package for the current R distribution (when the maintainer gets around to
checking that the build script works with the source.) Every library not
provided in the core R distribution I download and install from the local
CRAN mirror.

All Slackware distribution executables are stored in /usr/bin/. Most of the
SBo application packages are also installed there.

Application-specific functions are the province of the user and I let root
download, build, and install R packages.

Regards,

Rich