[R] mice package won't install

J C Nash pro|jcn@@h @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Jul 24 16:48:29 CEST 2020

Apologies in advance if this is a red herring, but I've had a number of issues
with installing latest (4.0.2) version of R and related packages. Maybe my
experience will be helpful to you.

Note that you don't give your OS etc., which also my mean my suggestions are
moot.

I run Linux, mostly Mint. Recently I upgraded to LM 20. And then upgraded
R from 3.5.x to 4.0.x. When updating packages, I found lots of errors where
a dependency was stated to be pre-version 4 and to reinstall. But even
after a re-install, I got the same message. This occurred on 3 machines in
slightly different manifestations, likely because the machines are different
ages and there may be more or less "old" material lurking in folders that
should have been removed a long time ago. My suspicion is that the wrong
libraries were being accessed.

My solution was to
- remove --purge r-base-dev r-recommended
- delete directories /usr/lib/R, /usr/local/lib/R and ~/R
- reinstall (noting that the software sources needed to point to debian focal and cran40).
- install packages I needed

This may be a bit drastic, but R and Linux make the task relatively undemanding. It also
gives a cleaned up R ecosystem, as the ongoing addition of bits and pieces makes for
quite a load of packages, some of which are almost certain to be unused but may cause
trouble.

Good luck,

John Nash