[R] Fwd: Which external functions are called in a package?

Sat Jan 4 00:05:08 CET 2020

On 03/01/2020 4:45 p.m., Hans W Borchers wrote:
> You are absolutely right. I forgot that there is a difference between
> the unpacked and the installed directory of a package. The
> documentation of the *pkgapi* package in development is quite scarce
> and does not mention the details. Thanks for the tip.
>
> --HW
>
> PS: Still I would like to learn about other approaches for listing
> external calls of a package. This must be a general problem for
> package developers whose packages are depended on by many other CRAN
> packages.

I've never worried too much about that for my packages.  What matters is
whether the changes I make cause trouble for other packages.  Knowing
the reverse dependencies lets me test all the other packages after
making changes, and if new problems come up, it's usually pretty obvious
which of my functions were being used.

(I use some code I wrote for myself to run the tests with the old and
new version of my package, but I believe there is similar code out there
nowadays to do the comparison.  I'd look in devtools if I was looking
for that.)

Duncan Murdoch