[R] Can I use R for comertial projects for free?

Tue Apr 21 19:19:25 CEST 2020

The "contamination" of other code by GPL is not absolute... it _is_ possible to use GPL code without releasing your code similarly, and blithely suggesting otherwise perpetuates myths about GPL.

That said, it is very tricky to do so while presenting a clean user experience, and doing so is likely to raise objections on the part of consumers of your commercial product unless you do it right. The appropriate response here is to reccommend consultation with a lawyer familiar with these issues.

Informally, I would recommend against doing this from a user experience perspective... but not because of contamination.